header

Thanks Campion and Curtis!

Thankyou to Allan Campion who included a link to this blog in his most recent Newsletter.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Whitelaw Cheese and Fig Salad with Fine Herbs, Rockmelon, Prosciutto and Balsamic Syrup

Well, it's been a long time between Ezard Challenge posts, with my Sydney holiday happening and everything else... I'm finally back.
I decided to pick a couple of quite easy recipes this week, the first of which is this nice little entree, which I think has the least amount of ingredients out of all the recipes in the whole book.
The title basically describes everything that's in the recipe.
Now, I don't know if I just didn't look hard enough, but I checked all the deli's at the Vic Market and none of the people there had ever heard of Whitelaw Cheese. The recipe does say that you can use another fresh curd cheese, so I got some Fresh Goats Curd. This stuff is quite expensive, I think it was about $8 or so for less than 150g! Lucky I was only feeding 3 people.
You want to drain your cheese using some cheese cloth and tie it up and leave it to hang for a few hours to get rid of the excess moisture.

Get some nice, paper thin slices of Prosciutto and lay it on a baking tray. Sprinkle it with some brown sugar and bake until nice a crispy and the sugar has melted and caramelised.



Peel the figs with a sharp knife and slice your Rockmelon into bite sized slices. You can pretty much now start assembling your dish. There is no photo in the book to go by, so it's up to you on how to decide to present it. I placed 2 figs on each plate and then a dollop of the cheese on top (I didn't place the herbs into the cheese, I just scattered them over the top). I then stood a couple of slices of Rockmelon in the Cheese. I then took a couple of pieces of Prosciutto and stood them up in the middle, also. You then drizzle your Balsamic Syrup, which is basically a reduction around the plate and you're done. A very quick and simple one, especially for Ezard!


This is one tasty dish! It brings together classic flavours with Ezard's modern twist, espeically with the interstingly sweetened, crispy Prosciutto. Fresh Goats Curd is a delicious cheese, which I'd never tasted before. It's so soft, smooth, mild and teams perfectly with the sweetness of the fruit and the sweet / salty tastes of the Prosciutto. Give this one a go...

No comments: